Carl Sinderbrand practices in the areas of environmental law; construction and commercial contracting and disputes; public utility law; government regulation and permitting; and appeals.
Mr. Sinderbrand is passionate about environmental stewardship. The lawyer’s role in environmental transactions, permitting, and disputes is to help clients achieve their goals through appropriately balancing the productive use and preservation of critical resources. Mr. Sinderbrand has achieved success for clients for more than 30 years through a combination of having a clear understanding of the applicable law, as well as establishing realistic objectives and long-term professional, interpersonal relationships. When his clients’ interests cannot be protected through negotiation and permitting processes, he has protected their interests through zealous advocacy before the courts, including multiple cases in the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
Mr. Sinderbrand’s stock in trade is his reputation for honor, honesty, effectiveness and personal integrity; and his conviction that history tells us that today’s adversaries may be tomorrow’s allies. Because of this, he has been able to consistently and compatibly represent businesses, individuals, public interest groups and governmental entities in a wide range of proceedings.
Admitted to practice in the State Courts of Wisconsin, Federal Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin, for the Northern District of California, and for the Northern District of Illinois, United States Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Ninth Circuits, and United States Supreme Court.
EducaciónJ.D., cum laude, University of Wisconsin Law School
B.A., History, Oberlin College
Participación y Reconocimiento
- Board of Directors, Environmental Law Section, Wisconsin Bar Association (past chair)
- Board of Directors, Clean Wisconsin, Inc. (past chair)
- Board of Directors, Wisconsin Wetlands Association (past chair)
- Board of Trustees, Temple Beth El, Madison, Wisconsin (past president)
- Member, Wisconsin Department of Transportation Dispute Review Board
- Member, Dane County Lakes and Watershed Commission, 1999-2007
- Commercial and Construction Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2007-2021 Edition) – Environmental Law
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2013-2021 Edition) – Litigation – Construction
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2011-2021 Edition) – Litigation – Environmental
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2017 Edition) – Litigation – Environmental
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2014 Edition) – Litigation – Environmental
- Named to the 2006 – 2017 Wisconsin Super Lawyers Lists (Primary Area of Practice: Environmental Law)
- Named to the 2011 Top 25 Madison, Wisconsin Super Lawyers List
- Named to the 2011 Top 50 Wisconsin Super Lawyers List
- Named to Milwaukee Magazine’s 2010 Wisconsin’s Top 50 Lawyers
- Named one of Madison’s top Administrative Law and Construction Law lawyers by Madison Magazine
- Named in Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™