Michael Modl is a partner at the firm, practicing with the Litigation and Labor and Employment Practice Groups.
Mr. Modl’s litigation practice focuses on federal court litigation, primarily in the areas of intellectual property, commercial disputes, employment, insurance defense, defense of municipalities and schools, and defense of civil rights and constitutional claims. He has appeared as local counsel for various regional, national and international companies in federal court litigation in Wisconsin. He has represented municipalities, including counties, cities and villages, as well as municipal officials and employees in state and federal court civil rights actions. Mr. Modl has successfully defended law enforcement officers and municipalities in claims arising out of police conduct, including claims of use of excessive force, claims arising out of high speed chases and claims alleging illegal searches, seizures and arrests. Mr. Modl is also experienced in class action litigation and electronic discovery matters.
Mr. Modl has successfully represented municipalities and municipal officials in employment related claims, including claims of employment discrimination, claims of workplace harassment, First Amendment speech and association claims, and claims alleging adverse employment actions without due process of law. Mr. Modl has also represented public and private sector employers in claims alleging employment discrimination, workplace harassment and retaliation before federal, state and local agencies, including the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Wisconsin Equal Rights Division and the Madison Equal Opportunities Commission.
Mr. Modl’s litigation practice includes an active federal court practice. He has appeared in over 200 cases before federal court judges in the United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin. Mr. Modl has tried more than 30 cases to the federal court, including patent and trademark infringement cases, federal constitutional and civil rights cases, federal employment discrimination cases, including cases under the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act and Title VII, defense of prisoner litigation and defense of financial institutions in claims alleging discrimination in making loans.
Mr. Modl’s practice also focuses on advising employers on employment and personnel matters. He assists clients in reviewing and drafting personnel policies and employee handbooks. Mr. Modl provides training, seminars and legal updates to clients on developments in the law, including the areas of workplace harassment prevention and investigation of complaints. He also advises clients on the federal and state Family and Medical Leave Acts and Americans with Disabilities Act compliance. He has appeared on behalf of employers before federal, state and local agencies.
Admitted to practice in the state courts of Wisconsin, Federal Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin, for the Central District Court of Illinois, and for the Western District of Washington, United States Courts of Appeal for the Fifth, Seventh, and Tenth Circuits, and United States Supreme Court.
EducaciónJ.D., University of Texas
B.A., Ripon College
Areas de Práctica
- Appellate Practice
- COVID-19 & Return to Work
- Civil Rights & Constitutional Issues
- Class Action
- Commercial Litigation
- Employee Handbooks, Policies & Procedures
- Employee Hiring, Discipline & Discharge
- Employment Contracts & Restrictive Covenants
- Employment Discrimination
- Employment Litigation
- Federal Court Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Labor & Employment
- Municipal & Local Government
- Representation of Public Sector Employers
- State & Federal Family Medical Leave Acts
- Wage & Hour
- Workplace Harassment
Participación y Reconocimiento
- Former editor, Wisconsin Employment Law Letter
- Member, past president, Western district of Wisconsin Bar Association
- Member, Dane County Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, American Bar Association
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2018 Edition) – Litigation-First Amendment
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2016 Edition) – Patent Law
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2014 Edition) – Litigation – First Amendment
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2006-2021 Edition) – Commercial Litigation
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2011-2021 Edition) – Litigation – First Amendment
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2011-2021 Edition) – Litigation – Intellectual Property
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2011-2021 Edition) – Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2011-2021 Edition) – Litigation – Patent
- Named to the 2005 – 2017 Wisconsin Super Lawyers Lists, including Super Lawyers – Corporate Counsel Edition and Super Lawyers – Business Edition (Primary Area of Practice: Civil Litigation Defense Law)
- Named to the 2012 and 2013 Top 25 Madison, Wisconsin Super Lawyers Lists
- Named to the 2011 – 2013 Top 50 Wisconsin Super Lawyers Lists
- Named to the Wisconsin Super Lawyers List in its Business Edition (Primary Area of Practice: Business Litigation)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™