John Schmid, Jr. is of counsel to Axley and advises on insurance defense cases, including the defense of personal injury and worker’s compensation litigation. Mr. Schmid also leads the firm’s Litigation Training Program.
Mr. Schmid represented clients in jury trials, court trials, appellate court proceedings, administrative hearings, as well as in arbitrations and mediations. He also served as both an arbitrator and a mediator in personal injury cases, and as a mediator in worker’s compensation litigation.
He argued cases before the Wisconsin Supreme Court, tried cases to verdict in numerous circuit courts in the state of Wisconsin and in the federal court for the Western District of Wisconsin, tried cases before the Wisconsin Labor and Industry Review Commission, and tried cases before administrative law judges. Mr. Schmid also lectured at and authored articles for Continuing Legal Education seminars, and advised and counseled insurers, insureds, and self-insured entities relative to both liability and worker’s compensation issues.
In addition to being known as someone who never turned his back on a cribbage board or game of euchre, Mr. Schmid’s profile would not be complete without noting that he has caught: a 30-inch Walleye (Lac Seul, N.W. Ont.), a 44-inch Lake Trout (Lake Athabasca, SASK.), a 51-inch Northern (N. Wholdaia Lake, NWT.) but has never made a hole-in-one… yet.
Admitted to practice in the State Courts of Wisconsin, Eastern District of Wisconsin, Western District of Wisconsin, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and United States Supreme Court.
J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School
B.A., Beloit College
Involvement & Recognition
- Member, Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Member, Dane County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, Wisconsin Association of Worker’s Compensation Attorneys
- Member, Wisconsin Defense Counsel
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (1995-2022 Edition) – Workers’ Compensation Law
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2011-2024 Edition) – Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2013 Edition) – Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™