David Pelletier is a partner in the firm and a member of the Business and Litigation Practice Groups. He practices primarily in the areas of bankruptcy, insolvency law, creditor’s rights, commercial lending, real estate transactions, Chapter 128 Receiverships and workouts. In his commercial lending practice, Mr. Pelletier represents lenders in real estate and business finance including low-income housing tax credit financing. In his real estate practice, Mr. Pelletier handles landlord tenant and adverse possession disputes, as well as construction defect litigation.
Mr. Pelletier also has extensive experience representing lenders and creditors in farm and agricultural work-outs, foreclosure, replevin actions and Chapter 12 bankruptcies. David is a frequent lecturer on bankruptcy litigation topics, foreclosures, and loan workouts.
Prior to joining Axley, Mr. Pelletier worked for several years as an attorney at the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania law firm of Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP. While there, he represented a wide array of clients in bankruptcy and civil litigation matters. He represented both debtors in large, complex Chapter 11 cases and creditors in large and small Chapter 7, 11 and 13 proceedings, and engaged in the prosecution and defense of adversary proceedings in Bankruptcy court. Mr. Pelletier also has extensive experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal civil litigation matters, in areas such as breach of contract, fraud, civil RICO, patent infringement and products liability.
Mr. Pelletier graduated from the Villanova University School of Law, where he served as associate editor of the Villanova Law Review, and was a judicial extern for the Honorable Marjorie O. Rendell of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
In addition to practicing law, Mr. Pelletier also teaches a business law course at the Wisconsin School of Business at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The course, Business Law 301, is a required course for all graduates of the business school.
Admitted to practice in the State Courts of Wisconsin and Pennsylvania and Federal Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin and for the District of New Jersey.
EducationJ.D., Villanova University School of Law
B.A., Michigan State University
Involvement & Recognition
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dane County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
– Chairman of the Continuing Legal Education Committee
– Member of the Finance Committee
- Member, Western District of Wisconsin Bar Association
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2016-2022 Edition) – Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2017-2022 Edition) – Litigation – Real Estate
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2018-2022 Edition) – Litigation – Bankruptcy
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2022 Edition)- Litigation- Bankruptcy
- Named to the 2010 – 2012 Wisconsin Rising Stars Lists (Primary Area of Practice: Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights Law)
- Received the Pennsylvania Bar Association Pro Bono Award in 2006
- Philadelphia Homeless Advocacy Citation, 2004 and 2006
- Named a Top Rated Bankruptcy: Business Attorney on the 2017 Wisconsin Super Lawyers List
- Fellow, Fellows of the Wisconsin Law Foundation