Claims Against the State of Wisconsin for Unpaid Contracts

July 1, 2011

The Wisconsin Builders Association Hot Line is a service provided for the Wisconsin Builders Association by Axley Brynelson. Legal Hot Line answers should be considered a general statement of applicable legal information. Given this format, it is impossible to fully address all potential legal issues which might apply in any particular situation. A determination of any individual’s legal rights in a transaction can only be obtained after a complete analysis of the law and its applicability to the particular fact situation. Please contact the author of the article if additional information is needed, or private counsel, if legal advice is needed.

How should you handle claims for money and contracts involving the State of Wisconsin?
A: The Wisconsin Claims Board is governed by Section 16.007 of the Wisconsin statutes. Anyone who has a claim for monetary damages against a Wisconsin agency may file a claim with the Claims Board. The Board has the authority to make payments of $5,000 or less. Anything more must be passed into law by the legislature if payment is recommended by the Claims Board.

Generally, the Claims Board is considered a forum of last resort, which means you must first exhaust administrative and legal avenues. However, if your claim involves a contract dispute, it must first be considered by the State of Wisconsin Claims Board.

For more information about the State of Wisconsin Claims Board, contact Patricia Reardon at 608.264.9595 or

To subscribe to email alerts from Axley Law Firm, click here.