How Do I Recall My Village Board?
The Wisconsin Builders Association Hot Line is a service provided for the Wisconsin Builders Association by the law firm of Axley Brynelson, LLP. Legal Hot Line Answers should be considered a general statement of applicable legal information. Given this format, it is impossible to fully address all potential legal issues which might apply in any particular situation. A determination of any individual’s legal rights in a transaction can only be obtained after a complete analysis of the law and its applicability to the particular fact situation. Please contact the author of the article if additional information is needed, or private counsel, if legal advice is needed.
What are the procedural requirements for recalling a village board member?
A: The procedural requirements for recalling a village board member are set forth at Wis. Stat. s. 9.10. The qualified electors of a Village may file with the same official or agency with whom nomination papers or declarations of candidacy for the office are filed demanding the recall of the officeholder.
The following are some but not all of the procedural requirements:
- A petition for recall shall be signed by electors equal to at least 25 percent of the vote cast for the office of governor at the last election within the same district;
- A petition may not be offered for filing prior to the expiration of one year after commencement of the term of office;
- A petition for a recall in a petition must contain a statement of a reason for the recall which is related to the official responsibilities of the official for whom removal is sought;
- A registration statement must be filed with the filing officer prior to completing registration;
- The last day for filing the recall petition is 5 p.m. on the 60th day commencing after registration.
Please review the statute and seek legal advice from an attorney if necessary for all of the procedural requirements for recalling a village board member.
To subscribe to email alerts from Axley Law Firm, click here.