Gregory Collins is a partner in the firm and offers significant experience in a broad range of real estate and general business matters. These include sale and purchase of closely held businesses, commercial real estate development, leasing, tax deferred Section 1031 exchanges, and corporation and limited liability company formation.
Over the past 20 years, Mr. Collins has represented numerous for-profit and non-profit organizations in the acquisition and financing of affordable housing projects. These representations include assisting clients in the acquisition of Section 202, 221(d)(3) and 236 U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (“HUD”) projects, Section 515 Rural Development projects, developing projects utilizing 4% and 9% low-income housing tax credits, obtaining grants from the Federal Home Loan Bank through its Affordable Housing Program, and refinancing multifamily and assisted living housing through HUD’s Section 223 and 232 programs.
Admitted to practice in the State Courts of Wisconsin.
EducationJ.D., Marquette University Law School
B.A., Lawrence University
Involvement & Recognition
- Member, Dane County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Director and Secretary, Madison Ice Inc.
- Village of Maple Bluff Trustee, 2008 – 2010
- Village of Maple Bluff Zoning Board of Appeals, 2001-2008
- Organized several non-profit Sec. 501(c)(3) corporations, including those for the Wisconsin Women’s Health Foundation, the Middleton Youth Basketball Club and Madison Ice (which owns the indoor ice rinks in the city of Madison)
- Named a top Real Estate Lawyer in The Best Lawyers In America©
- Martindale-Hubbell DistinguishedSM Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
Represented multiple clients in the acquisition and rehabilitation of housing projects through nine percent and four percent low-income housing tax credits
Represented numerous non-profit benevolent low-income housing organizations in court and successfully obtained annual property exemptions in excess of $500,000
Represented several non-profit affordable housing organizations in acquiring and financing over 9,000 multifamily housing units
Represented a client in the acquisition and development of over $140 million of senior housing facilities that offer a continuum of care
Represented one of the largest heavy duty truck dealers in the United States in the acquisition of several heavy duty truck dealerships
Represented a non-profit affordable housing client in the acquisition, finance and rehabilitation of a 1,077 unit Section 8 portfolio consisting of projects located in 21 communities across Wisconsin by utilizing 4% low income housing tax credits and $41.5 million of bond financing
Assisted with the drafting of property tax exemption legislation
Represented a benevolent retirement home for the aged in court and successfully obtained an annual $680,000 property tax exemption