Richard (Rick) Petershack is a senior partner at Axley and member of the Business Practice Group. His practice focuses on commercial real estate, commercial lending, banking law, mediation, and acting as underwriters’ counsel in bond transactions.
Mr. Petershack represents developers in large transactions, including purchases and sales, and land development activities. He also does extensive work for his real estate and business clients in reviewing and structuring financing options. He recently represented the developer of an $80 million mixed use in-fill project using a HUD-insured construction/permanent loan.
For his lender clients, Mr. Petershack works extensively in real estate and business financing, including working capital and asset-based loans, and letter of credit enhancement (low floater) transactions.
Mr. Petershack is also actively involved in the Dane County Case Mediation Program and has mediated a variety of business disputes.
Mr. Petershack has industry experience with local, regional and national lenders and real estate development firms. He also has experience in business financing for small, medium and large businesses, public finance including underwriter representation, complex real estate and business transactions and often works with multi-layered financing, public financing and significant deed restriction issues.
Admitted to practice in the State Courts of Wisconsin and Federal Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin.
EducationJ.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.A., Oberlin College
Involvement & Recognition
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, Dane County Bar Association
- Member, Downtown Rotary Club of Madison
- Chair, Village of Maple Bluff Board of Zoning Appeals
- Named the Best Lawyers© 2017 Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year” in Madison
- Named the Best Lawyers© 2016 Banking and Finance “Lawyer of the Year” in Madison
- Named a top Banking & Finance and Real Estate Law attorney in The Best Lawyers in America©
- Named to the 2005 – 2013 Wisconsin Super Lawyers Lists (Primary Area of Practice: Banking Law and Real Estate)
- Named to the Wisconsin Super Lawyers List in its Business Edition (Primary Areas of Practice: (Banking Law and Real Estate)
- Named one of Madison’s top banking/financial services lawyers by Madison Magazine
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
Represented developer of largest mixed-use development in downtown Madison
Represented a regional lender in a $60 million revolving credit and term loan facility to a multi-state industrial borrower
Represented regional lender in a $15 million letter of credit enhancement of a demand note transaction
Represented the seller of a large-scale mixed use development for a price in excess of $30 million
Represented the developer in the negotiation and sale (to a municipality) of a condominium unit to the constructed
Represent the bank in an ESOP loan transaction