Mike Riley is a third-generation Madison lawyer whose practice is focused on obtaining fair compensation for people who suffer injuries due to others’ negligence. He also represents clients in insurance coverage issues, mediation, and arbitration. He is listed by Madison Magazine as one of the best personal injury lawyers in Madison. Milwaukee Magazine has annually named him one of the best personal injury lawyers in the state. He is also listed in The Best Lawyers in America© both locally and nationally for his work with injured persons.
Mr. Riley has successfully represented hundreds of clients in personal injury claims. He has successfully argued a number of cases before the Wisconsin State Supreme Court and obtained dozens of favorable decisions for his clients before the Wisconsin Court of Appeals. He has been asked to speak to Wisconsin lawyers and judges on a variety of topics relating to the trial and settlement of personal injury cases, insurance coverage, mediation and arbitration and a variety of other topics.
Mr. Riley has taught trial advocacy and negotiation at the University of Wisconsin Law School. He has been a featured speaker at a number of seminars for various organizations, including the State Bar of Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Association for Justice and the Wisconsin Judicial Conference, as well as the National Business Institute. The State Bar of Wisconsin and the Wisconsin Association for Justice have published a number of articles he has authored on topics relating to personal injury claims. He currently serves as editor for the Wisconsin Association for Justice Publication, The Verdict.
Dedicated to providing personal attention and achieving the best possible result for each of his clients, Mr. Riley is a firm believer in putting his clients’ interests first.
Admitted to practice in the State Courts of Wisconsin, Federal Court for the Western District of Wisconsin, and United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
EducationJ.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison
Involvement & Recognition
- Member, Editorial Board and Former Board Member, Wisconsin Association for Justice
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
– Former Chair, Inter-Professional Relations and Legislative Committees
– Former Board Member, Litigation section
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2006-2021 Edition) – Personal Injury Litigation
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2009-2021 Edition) – Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2011-2022 Edition) – Arbitration
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2011-2022 Edition) – Mediation
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2014-2022 Edition) – Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2019 Edition) – Mediation
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2021 Edition) – Arbitration
- Named to the 2005 – 2022 Wisconsin Super Lawyers Lists (Primary Area of Practice: Personal Injury – Plaintiff Law)
- Named one of Madison’s top personal injury law – plaintiff attorneys by Madison Magazine
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Named a top Civil Plaintiff by The National Trial Lawyers
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2024 Edition) – Arbitration, Mediation, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
Received favorable decision from the Supreme Court of Wisconsin in Brown v. Acuity, a case in which he briefed and argued the issue of discretionary immunity. The Court accepted his argument, overturning a decision of the Court of Appeals, and establishing a bright line rule that operators of emergency vehicles are not authorized to ignore specific statutory mandates contained in the rules of the road.
Other Presentations & Publications
I met Mike decades ago after I was rear-ended by an absent minded, inexperienced driver. A friend was badly injured in a snowmobile accident and was represented by Mike. I knew then, that Mike was exactly who I needed. There’s simply no denying that Mr. Riley’s experience, superior IQ and his innate ability to net above the anticipated max results (after recovering from injuries) while keeping me, the client well informed really helps. I’ve consistently referred Mike, because he’s simply the best
I can’t thank Attorney Riley and his staff (Heather and Elaine) enough for such a great settlement and all their help to me along the way. To Riley especially for coming to my home, and keeping me so informed, and then for a very good conclusion! I highly recommend him to anyone looking for a personal injury attorney.
Thanks again for taking this case and for dispatching it with style and grace.
A big note of thanks to you and your team for all your efforts in settling this case.
Thank you for your compassion and very thoughtful work representing me over the past few years, but especially recently.
In the day and age where customer service is an after thought, you and your associates clearly know the difference between customer care and integrity. I will, as usual, recommend any and all family or, close friends to Axley, when and if your phenomenal services are needed.
I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me and my wife with our case. I know that you did everything humanly possible in order to help us through these emotional times.
Thank you so much for your help with the [case]. I really appreciate everything you did for me!