Steven Streck is a senior partner at Axley, and member of the Litigation and Construction & Transportation Practice Groups.
Mr. Streck concentrates his practice in eminent domain/condemnation, property value litigation and land use litigation. He represents both condemning authorities and property owners in condemnation proceedings. His recent projects include work with three regional electric transmission utilities to acquire land rights to construct major new transmission lines in southern, northwestern and central Wisconsin. He is currently working with airports across the state to acquire the land rights necessary for various airport improvement projects.
Mr. Streck has given numerous presentations relating to condemnation, litigation and insurance coverage issues. Through his representation of public utilities over the last two decades, he has gained a thorough understanding of property valuation methodologies. He has particular expertise in the legal issues involved when condemning authorities require pre-condemnation access to property for testing purposes, and he has given presentations to engineers, real estate appraisers, airport owners and right-of-way professionals on the subject.
Mr. Streck also has particular expertise in commercial litigation, construction defect litigation and insurance coverage for construction defect damages. He has assisted owners, general contractors and subcontractors in a variety of construction-related disputes. He is a member of the Construction and Public Contract Law Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin, and he authors all case law updates for the section’s newsletter.
Admitted to practice in the State Courts of Wisconsin, Federal Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin, and United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
EducationJ.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, University of Wisconsin-Madison Law School
B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison
Involvement & Recognition
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, Wisconsin Defense Counsel
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2012-2022 Edition) – Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2013-2022 Edition) – Litigation – Environmental
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2010-2022 Edition) – Personal Injury Litigation
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2011-2022 Edition) – Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2019 Edition) – Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2021 Edition) – Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2013 Eminent Domain “Lawyer of the Year” in Madison
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
- Named a Top Rated Construction Litigation Attorney on the 2017 Wisconsin Super Lawyers List
- Recognized as a 2017 and 2018 “Super Lawyer” for eminent domain
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2024 Edition) – Eminent Doman and Condemnation Law, Litigation – Environmental, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
Successfully challenged a large special assessment and increased just compensation for landowner whose land was condemned for municipal road project.
Assisted airports throughout the state in getting pre-condemnation access to properties for purposes of surveying, soil testing and environmental investigation. Wisconsin does not have a statute as most states do regulating circumstances by which a condemner may access property during the pre-condemnation phase.
Successfully defended airports and electric transmission utilities throughout the state against claims alleging that an uneconomic remnant remains after the taking.
We represent several utilities in connection with regional high voltage transmission line projects. We assist in all aspects of land acquisition, including negotiating easements on special use properties, serving jurisdictional offers, filing condemnation petitions and related documents, defending right-to-take actions, and trying cases to county condemnation commissions, judges and juries.
Represent airports throughout the state to assist them in acquiring land rights to complete airport improvement projects. The land rights acquired include land in fee, aviation easements and temporary and permanent access easements.
Defended $30 million arbitration and federal court action against utility for breach of contract and employment claims involving sale and operation of commercial natural gas retailer
Represented multinational insurance company in multimillion-dollar environmental insurance coverage claims, including soil and groundwater-contaminated manufacturing sites throughout Wisconsin
Represented state of Wisconsin and several governmental subdivisions in multimillion-dollar claims in condemnation valuation litigation.
Represented agricultural chemical dealer in toxic tort litigation where plaintiffs claimed significant personal injuries and property damage caused by the release of chemicals into residential water supply system
Defended general contractor of an ethanol plant in multimillion-dollar suit claiming defective design and construction
Represented North American Distributor of aircraft engines and equipment in an aviation accident resulting in significant personal injuries
Provided statewide environmental coverage counsel for insurance companies defending bodily injury and property damage claims
Defended national retailers in federal court action alleging violations of Wisconsin Fair Dealership Law for wrongful termination of distribution agreement