Timothy D. Fenner is a senior partner in Axley and is a member of the firm’s Business and Litigation Practice Groups. He concentrates his practice on insurance agency matters, municipal law, public and private finance, commercial lending, public utilities and business organizations. He provides transactional counseling to clients in all of the foregoing areas.
A nationally recognized authority on legal issues affecting insurance agency ownership and operations, Mr. Fenner is a frequent lecturer and instructor for various trade associations of insurance agents; he speaks at numerous insurance related conventions, meetings and workshops.
Mr. Fenner is an instructor for the National Alliance for Insurance Education & Research, and provides a variety of James K. Ruble seminars for graduates. His work in areas of insurance agency operations range from organizational/structural matters; to employment practices, mergers and acquisitions; and to succession/perpetuation planning and implementation. Mr. Fenner also routinely deals with insurance regulatory authorities concerning agent licensing and discipline matters on a national basis.
With respect to municipal law, Mr. Fenner represents a number of cities, villages and towns located throughout Wisconsin; he provides general municipal representation with special emphasis upon zoning, land division, public finance and tax incremental financing for development purposes. He also represents numerous special use governmental districts relative to the provision of public sewer and water services, and as a consequence, appears before the Wisconsin Public Service Commission on a variety of sewer and water matters. He is recognized as an expert on town sanitary districts, utility districts and metropolitan sewerage districts in the state of Wisconsin.
Admitted to practice in the State Courts of Wisconsin and Federal Court for the Western Districts of Wisconsin.
EducationJ.D., cum laude, University of Wisconsin Law School
B.A., cum laude, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Involvement & Recognition
- Instructor for continuing education requirements for insurance intermediaries
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dane County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Former columnist for monthly insurance publication On the Legal Side, The Independent Agent
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2010-2021 Edition) – Land Use and Zoning
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2011-2021 Edition) – Litigation – Land Use and Zoning
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© (2013-2021 Edition) – Insurance Law
- Named Lawyer of the Year in The Best Lawyers in America© (2016 Edition) – Land Use and Zoning
- Received the High Achiever Award from the Independent Insurance Agents of Wisconsin for contributions to the insurance industry in Wisconsin
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™
Merger and acquisition regarding insurance agencies and financial service providers
Local counsel in multi-state financing transactions
Representation of insurance-related entities concerning regulation and compliance with rules of Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance, including disciplinary and licensing matters
Representation of municipal entities concerning annexations, inter-governmental cooperation, public works projects, public financing, utility regulation and tax incremental financing matters