The Best Lawyers in America® 2018 list recognized 3 Axley attorneys as “Lawyer of the Year” and an additional 26 Axley attorneys in its 24th edition.
Best Lawyers® only recognizes one attorney as “Lawyer of the Year” per specialty and location. The three Axley recipients, having the highest peer review rating and feedback in Madison for their practice area, include: Michael Modl – Litigation-First Amendment; Brian Mullins – Construction Law; and Buck Sweeney – Litigation-Construction
Michael Modl is a successful advocate of both private and public sector employers. In addition to representing employers in front of federal, state and local agencies, Mr. Modl has tried more than 40 federal court cases, including federal constitutional and civil rights cases, federal employment discrimination cases and defense of financial institutions in claims alleging discrimination in making loans. Modl is listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018 list for Litigation – First Amendment, Litigation – Intellectual Property, Litigation – Labor and Employment and Litigation – Patent
Brian Mullins has over 30 years of experience as an attorney and advocate for owners, developers, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, insurers and sureties. He has been instrumental in the development of construction law in Wisconsin and has been named to the International Who’s Who of Construction Lawyers. Mr. Mullins was a founding member of Axley’s Construction Law Team. This is his sixth “Lawyer of the Year” award. Mr. Mullins is listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018 list for Construction Law, Litigation – Construction and Litigation – Real Estate.
Buck Sweeney brings to his practice vast experience in the construction industry. Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Sweeney was an engineer at Martin Marietta Aggregate Corporation and previously owned Edgerton Sand & Gravel, Edgerton Ready-Mix Concrete Company and Administrative Services. In addition to his industry background, Mr. Sweeney brings his clients experience in mediation and arbitration as well as before administrative bodies. Mr. Sweeney serves as Axley’s Managing Partner and is a former co-chair of Axley’s Construction Law Team. Mr. Sweeney is listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018 list for Litigation – Construction and Litigation – Environmental.
Additional Axley attorneys listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018 list and the practice area they are recognized for include:
- Michael Anderson, Commercial Litigation
- Steven Brezinski, Tax Law
- Gregory Collins, Real Estate Law
- Paul Curtis, Litigation – Insurance, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Guy DuBeau, Litigation – Construction
- David Easton, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Timothy Fenner, Insurance Law, Land Use and Zoning Law, Litigation – Land Use and Zoning
- Patricia Gibeault, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation – Bankruptcy
- Saul Glazer, Construction Law
- Daniel Hardy, Communications Law, Energy Law
- Bruce Harms, Corporate Law, Real Estate Law
- Arthur Kurtz, Insurance Law
- Larry Libman, Real Estate Law
- Lori Lubinsky, Education Law, Insurance Law
- Mitch Olson, Litigation – Land Use and Zoning
- Laura Peck, Banking and Finance Law
- David Pelletier, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation – Bankruptcy, Litigation – Real Estate
- Richard Petershack, Banking and Finance Law, Real Estate Law
- Robert Procter, Real Estate Law
- Michael Riley, Arbitration, Mediation, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- John Schmid, Jr., Worker’s Compensation Law – Employers
- Jonathan Schuster, Securities Regulation
- Carl Sinderbrand, Litigation – Construction, Litigation – Environmental
- Steven Streck, Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, Litigation – Environmental, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- John Walsh, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Michael Westcott, Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, Litigation – Labor and Employment
Regarded as a top reference guide to the legal profession, The Best Lawyers® lists are compiled through an extensive peer-review survey in which thousands of lawyers in the U.S. evaluate their professional peers.